Monday 2 April 2018

The beginning

While rummaging around in my mum's loft the other day looking for some long lost toys to hand down to my two girls. I saw something that I had not seen before.  It wasn't tucked away or hidden under something.  It was just sitting there on top of a pile of books and pictures.  


It reminded my of a book I'd found previously, an old sweet recipe book, but that is another story.  I brought it down with the Sasha dolls and smurfs that I lovingly remembered.  As I opened it I saw the beautiful copper plate handwriting and the date January 1836.  The first few lines had me hooked and I hope that you will enjoy reading this too.
In addition to the writings of the journal I have begun to research the background and history surrounding Jane Elizabeth Giraud.  I'll attempt to share the findings here with you as well.




Jan 7th thursday
Augustus and I came on board the "Seppings" Captain Anthony Rogers at Blackwall basin brackets (I think) Mr and Mrs Osbourne and three children and a servant the captain son James, Mr stones are Jamaican curate and his nephew Mr Edwin rose are a fellow passengers. I bore  up tolerably well until the evening when my spirits entirely foresoke me and I felt acutely my separation from my dear friends.

Jan 8th Friday
We reached Gravesend about 1 o'clock. The captain came on board, we find him and very kind and pleasant and our accommodation very good I amused myself in the early part of the morning with arranging our cabin, after which, walked a little while on deck. Augustus read the evening service with me, during which I was quite overcome as I united in the prayer those dear friends from whom I so lately parted. The wind unfavourable.

Jan 9th saturday 
We made but very little progress the wind being against us.  wrote part of a letter to my aunt Ridaurd. Still during several parts of the day - very dejected.

Jan 10th Sunday
Very qualmish and unable to rise in time for morning service which my brother performed with the captain and such of the passengers as were well enough to attend.  The wind contrary, not out of the river. In the evening my pocket handkerchief again hung up to dry.

Jan 11th Monday
Rather better, walked on deck for nearly an hour, found it very pleasant, the sun shine, and the sea-gulls were flying about dipping their wings in to the water felt in better spirits than I had done since i came on board.  In the being wrote to my dear friend miss Jones.

Jan 12th Tuesday
Much the same as yesterday but from the state of my feelings and the captains account of sea sickness anticipating no very pleasurable sensations as soon as we quit the river.  Walked a little while on deck in the middle of the day.  About 4 o’clock the pilot send down to me, to say the sandwich coast was in view; I was then on the sofa rather qualmish but I took a camphor lozenge and went up to look once more at the place where I had spent so many happy hours; I could see St Clements and St Peter’s churches and plainly distinguish a Maiden’s Hill, where I had so often watched the gambols of happy children.  What a variety of emotions filled my breast, as I gazed, probably for the last time on this well known shore and thought on the dear friends who were my constant companions thither.  In the evening the pilot  came to take leave of us - we gave him our letters.  As he shook hands with us and wished us all a prosperous voyage and success in our undertakings, I felt a sort of sorrow at the parting with him, it seemed as if the last link was broken with Old England.

Jan 13th Wednesday
I do not remember that anything worthy of remark happened this day - It is now the 23rd but I have been unable to continue my journal through sea sickness and the uncomfortable feelings occasioned by it.  I am consequently now writing as nearly as I can recollect from memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment