Sunday 8 April 2018

the effect of the sea

 Jane's journey continues.  Not only is she missing her friends but the Sea takes it's toll on her health. 



Jan 14th Thursday 1836
Too ill to get up all day

Jan 15th Friday
In the Downs - a very tempestuous night.  The Captain said he had never before passed such a one in the Downs and this is the 17th voyage he has made to Jamaica.  Towards noon the wind subsided.  I got better and was able to rise.  Edwin came on board from Sandwich bringing us letters; how cordially I welcomed one from each of my dear friends the Jones’ and how I treasure them, what a blessing it is to have friends, how sweet it is to be cared about.  I wrote a short letter in pencil as I laid partly dressed on the sofa for I was sea-sick as soon as I moved.  Was rather overcome by the sight of Edwin, but much pleased to see him, he soon grew pale with the motion of the vessel.  The intelligence of the loss of our book parcel grieved and disappointed me sadly but I checked my impatience considering I ought to be thankful that everything else had gone on so well.   Got better in the evening and had some interesting conversations with the Captain on the sovereigns who reigned about the period of the Reformation.  Stationary all day.

Jan 16th Saturday
Proceeded slowly on our course, not very well, took some medicine.  The captain sent down to me about 4 o’clock to say Dover was in view but I felt too poorly to go up to look at it.  My mind ever dwelling on those dear friends I have left.

Jan 18th Monday
Went on slowly although with unfavourable wind.  We have not had the wind fair for half a day since we left London - On account of the motion of the ship pieces of wood with string passed through them fastening them to the table (called fiddles) were put on today in order to keep the plates and dishes in their places.  Got pretty well towards evening by remaining perfectly still, but unable to do anything, scarcely even to read and that only at short intervals.

Isle of wight 1836















Jan 19th Tuesday
Very rough all day, obliged to retrace our course 14-15 miles to anchor by the isle of Wight.  To my greatest comfort, and I believe that of my fellow passengers my brother declined holding any more religious arguments with Mr Osborn thinking they tended to no good end and became very annoying to others.  Invariably, everyday he attacked Augustus always on the same subjects, which he  seemed to know nothing at all about; my brother thought it his duty to answer him and hoped he might perhaps give him clearer views on such important things; but his arguments (if such they might be called, for I could not follow them) were so strange, so inconsistent, so foolish; he so frequently wandered from the point set out , so conceitedly and decidedly set forth his own unsettled opinions and generally arrogantly at the close answered for my brother ( which produced a second edition) looking as triumphant as if he had completely foiled him, that the mild (for he had a great deal of patience with him; more than (i am afraid) I should have had) reasonable, judicious speaking of my brother could have no useful effect on such a self satisfied mind and we soon clearly perceived that all this much talking would tend to no other end than indulge his love of vain argument and disgust all about.

January 20th Wednesday 
Very rough again all day, the motion of the vessel threw me down twice whilst I was dressing.  Whenever i moved I was obliged to catch hold of the nearest thing I could find to prevent falling, like a little child just beginning to walk.  Being all in this tottering state cased a little merriment amongst us.

No comments:

Post a Comment